|Raphael Xavier break dancing at USJ|
ArtsMentors is a creation of Steven Raider-Ginsberg, Director of the Autorino Center at the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) and co-founder of Hartford's avant-garde Hartbeat Ensemble. The program "is designed to increase the number of quality mentoring relationships" with the express purpose of expanding the capacity of existing youth programs.
Here's a snapshot of Arts Day:
|RSVP to email@example.com|
- Attending live performance events
- Having dinner
- Meeting artists
- Participating in hands-on workshops
|ArtsMentors youth and their mentor pose for a selfie with one of the performing artists|
- providing area mentorship programs with an arts education program
- developing a positive relationship with an institution of higher education
- providing an activity mentors and their mentees can do together
- developing direct, personal connections with artists and faculty by attending live performance events, and gaining a hands-on creative expression experience
|Mentors and their protégés are always close to the performers|
- Bone Hill: The Concert, a dramatic musical work inspired by Martha Redbone's family lineage and her return to the Harlan County, KY coal-country of the Appalachian Mountains.
- Guiding Questions: "Where do the cultures in my community originate and what are the personal stories?"
- Point of Interest, Raphael Xavier's "new program repertoire built from solo, duets, and trios over the past fours years that culminates is a classically constructed quintet [exploring] the sustainability of a highly physical dance form associated with youth."
- Guiding Question: "How do we use the energy and vitality of our youth to age, develop and contribute to society in a positive way?"
- PEP Talk, Hand2Mouth Theater presented its "interactive theatrical presentation of coaches, teams and everyday heroes that combine the bravado of Muhammad Ali and the gravitas of Vince Lombardi." The performance created an art/sport atmosphere that inspired audiences to reflect on the past, cheer the present, and step from passive observers to active participants.
- Guiding Question: "What are the outcomes of positive speaking and positive thought? How do we accomplish what we think is unachievable?"
- 5X5 Dance Festival, one of Connecticut's "most important dance events, featured interaction, performances, and master classes between professional and collegiate dancers."
- Guiding question: "What are the various contemporary dance forms?"
|Musical expression is a key component of ArtsMentors|